I am running two forks. One is a public server, where alltalk is off.
The other server is reserved for my Steam group, and has alltalk on.
And we have definately talked across the human/infected border on this
second server.

Perhaps it is due to you not setting sv_alltalk at all? I am setting
mine to 0 and 1 respectively, and the result is as I've described
above.