There have been times in the past where VALVe played with VAC or Steam
real-time and it caused some serious issues for servers and clients.
Without an update to blame, servers suddenly dropped to 10fps a year or
two ago.  The cause ended up being something VALVe was doing actively
through Steam with the game and it went away soon after being reported
on the mailing list.  That said, I haven't had complaints about such an
issue (at least not yet).