Gary Stanley wrote:

>> Should be thankful that Valve even have the Linux server support that
>> they do (which compared to other games, is quite good).
>>
>> Look at something like CoD: WaW which was meant to have Linux dedicated
>> binaries.  The original game and two patches
>> in and no sign whatsoever of a Linux dedicated server.
>>

> I fail to see how CoD: WaW having or not having Linux support has any
> bearing on the expensive CPU usage that TF2
> and source, which i++; every release/update/fix.
The point being that the situation with Valve and their dedicated server
software is still miles ahead of most other game developers /
publishers, so cut them a bit of slack.

Performance has always creeped over time with dedicated games servers.
We used to be able to run 6x 20 slot CS servers on a Dual PIII 1Ghz back
in the day.  The only games that I haven't seen the performance creep
higher with, have been the ones that have been released and then the
developer washes their hand of it and never touches the game ever again.