The steam forums are honestly useless in finding data you need.  The
search is absolutely horrible... I can't read the captcha to save my
life, and I generally end up searching elsewhere for answers.

This email list is the best way to disseminate data to server admins,
hands down.   I see no reason to disable it, as I see no reason that it
might put any kind of burden on valve at all.

Kevin Anderson