I am certain dustbowl has always looked like that. The problem seems
to be that you don’t crouch as low anymore, there is a similar problem
at 2fort (which has never ever been updated, despite the problems it
got); you cannot put out fire in the sewer anymore by crouching in the
water by the stairs.