" [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to update local steamclient."
This perhaps? I remember a similar issue on windows where some steam dll was
missing and the server wouldn't list.

Check it against a TF2 server or an old install, see if anything pops out.
mostly likely steam_api/steamclient.so.