Steven,

Awesome! That is *exactly* what I was looking for. My problem was that I had
sv_steamgroup_exclusive set to 1, and that appears to have been the fly in the
ointment.

Thanks much!
Bill

Steven Sumichrast wrote:
> Here is how my configuration works, starting with my launch script:
>
> ./srcds_run_updater -netconport 90## -netconpassword ***** +motdfile
> genmay_motd.txt +hostfile genmay_host.txt -fork 8 +exec
> server_cfg##.cfg -port 27017# -autoupdate $COMMONARGS
>
> In each of the server_cfg files, I have:
>
> // Run the generic startup file
> exec settings.cfg
>
> // Exec search key
> exec genmay_search_key.cfg
>
> // Set the hostname
> hostname "[PGS] L4D Network | Server 01"
>
> // Load map
> map l4d_hospital01_apartment
>

> So note here: in my settings.cfg file is:
>
> // Set up some server info
> //hostname "General [M]ayhem Left4Dead Game Network"
> rcon_password *******
> sv_contact "s...@sbcglobal.net"
>
> // Set servers to appropriate group
> sv_steamgroup 78
> sv_steamgroup_exclusive 0
>
> // Configure difficulty
> z_difficulty "Impossible"
>

> So how's this work from the overhead?  Each fork fires up -- I have no
> server.cfg or autoexec.cfg, so they don't run those.  Fork 1 runs
> server_cfg01.cfg -- it immediately executes my "all servers" settings
> file, which has our steam group in it and sets it to NOT exclusive, as
> well as some other "catch all" stuff (like difficulty for when the
> servers sit idle and can be joined directly).
>
> Then the 4 forks that are configured for search key, I run the search
> key config, which comes by AFTER the steam group settings are in
> place.
>
> Viola!  You can now join our servers through the main screen with the
> "steamgroup servers", or you can host a game through the lobby and
> specify sv_search_key **** and get your own box...  Works either way.
>
> It works great for us because we don't have to have our users memorize
> our port numbers.  And, we're about to relocate our servers so our
> addresses will change.  They won't even know it happens because they
> all just use search key and it's never an issue.
>
> Hope that helps...
>

> On 4/22/09, William Korb <k...@qisc.com> wrote:
> Steven,
>
> For those of us struggling with getting this type of arrangement to work
> would
> you be willing to post sanitized versions of your server.cfg files so we can
> see
> a config that works? I've been struggling with this ever since I started
> running
> my first l4d server, and I cannot get it to behave as desired.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

- --
William Korb, President & CTO          Phone:  715-382-5462
QISC, Inc.
19945 82nd Ave., Suite 201             E-mail: k...@qisc.com
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729-5631          URL:    http://www.qisc.com/
"Tilting at Digital Windmills since 1995."