On 29.04.2009 20:28, Barny wrote:
> To be honest (considering that I'm neither
> a Linux, nor a HLDS expert), for me it seems that L4D/HLDS will consume
> all the resources quickly what you provide to it, although it can
> operate very nice with moderate hardware like as I described above.

If you are talking about memory, then this is how Linux generally works
- it uses the memory for filesystem buffers and cache.

The most reliable way to measure HLDS memory usage is to look at RSS in
top or ps aux output (and add shared memory between servers, which
usually about 20mb - if forked). I've recently noticed that even the
free's "-/+ buffers/cache" may not show the correct memory usage, as it
includes some of the memory that the system actually doesn't need and
would be freed if any of the applications require it.

Taavi