At 09:08 PM 6/3/2009, Oliver Salzburg wrote:
>I run a box with 4 L4D servers on it.
>The average ping is around 30 and I am wondering if I could further
>improve it with srcds settings. I never experience any lag when playing
>on them but I thought the ping value can never be low enough.
>I've read a lot about pingboosts and tickrates on this list so I was
>wondering what the general recommendation would be to improve the ping.
>
>Thanks in advance

The speed of light in a perfect vacuum is 186k/miles a second. Due to
fiber's refractive index of 1.49, The speed of light in normal fiber
is about 124k/miles a second.
For every 60 miles of fiber, 1 millisecond of latency is added. (This
is the most ideal conditions, however network queuing delays and
other things slow it down too)