It is possible to include an internal browser with Steam that would work
on multiple platforms thus replacing the whole need for IE in the first
place. However, they will not even attempt it yet, since Steam is
currently Windows only on clientside so it is not really needed, even
though the ingame browser has it's limities, on purpose or not.

I personally have only IE6 on my XP and i never use it, except with
Steam. In any case, Steam should not be IE dependant. There are many
malicious websites involved and other browsers are significantly more
secure than IE. You can throw some studies on the table that IE is more
secure than any but thats just a point of view and bending the stats to
find a proper angle that favors the one who makes the study.

-ics