That's an argument _against_ changing browser.  If they went with a
different rendering engine they'd have to bundle it with the steam client.
By using IE, they don't have to.  Better arguments are:

- Don't have to test the steam client pages against multiple versions of IE
- Server operators don't have to test MOTDs against multiple versions of IE,
and probably end up with worse pages
- If it's open-source, it's possible they could avoid doing the
render-html-turn-into-bitmap-render-as-texture dance for the in-game
versions, which is why flash doesn't animate. hmm... maybe that's a good
thing ;)