At 09:05 PM 9/5/2009, Eric Greer wrote:
>This is all really awesome information everyone and I am very appreciative
>of all your ime and knowledge... however...
>
>What does this mean to the guy who hasn't recompiled a linux kenel before?
>Right now I'm seting fps_max on the command line to 500. Can I get more than
>500 fps without recompiling?  What settings would that require?
>
>If I do have to recompile, where do I start learning for that?  How
>dangerous is it?
>
>Thanks again everyone,
>
>Eric

The stock centos kernels do not have hrtimers, so you aren't able to
get low latency sleeping. The 2.6.18 kernels are very good latency
wise, so unless you want to patch them in you're going
to have to build something newer. The newer kernels with CFS are
pretty much crap, in my opinion, due to the scheduler changes and
other .. things, but mostly you will need HPET support in the BIOS
enabled with hrtimers.

As Laws stated eariler, the older kernels are generally better
overall, and newer kernels with RT have too much overhead in most of
the codepath the game does not use.

-M