Hi Chris,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm running a server with 6 forks on
64-bit Debian Lenny and I am not seeing this problem.  All six forks
stay up and there is no core dumping going on.  My first guess would be
that your problem is related to your kernel configuration, such as high
resolution timers, dynamic ticks, etc.  Is your Lenny installation up to
date?  Are you using a custom kernel?

     - Dave

Chris Boot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hmm, after more testing I can't seem to run any number of forks
> properly, with children core dumping regularly when I use a forked
> server... A non-forked server seems to run just fine. Anyone else have
> this problem?
>
> I'm using a 64-bit Debian Lenny server (HP DL140 G3).
>
> Can I run several instances out of the same install directory without
> using forks? E.g. running several different servers on different ports
> all out of the same directory?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> Chris Boot wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to run a forked server with 10 child processes, but if I try
>> and fork more than 2 children all the children crash out with a core
>> dump. Any ideas?
>>
>> My command-line is like this:
>>
>> ./srcds_run \
>>     -console \
>>     -game left4dead2 \
>>     -debug \
>>     -pidfile /srv/steam/l4d2/demo_dir1/left4dead2_demo/srcds.pid \
>>     -fork 3 \
>>     -netconport 90## -netconpassword <snip> \
>>     +ip <snip> +hostport 27014+## \
>>     +map c5m1_waterfront
>>
>> My server.cfg is like this:
>>
>> hostname "<snip>"
>> rcon_password "<snip>"
>> sv_allow_wait_command 0
>> sv_alltalk 0
>> sv_alternateticks 0
>> sv_cheats 0
>> sv_clearhinthistory 0
>> sv_consistency 1
>> sv_contact "bo...@l4dprc.org"
>> sv_downloadurl ""
>> sv_lan 0
>> sv_log_onefile 0
>> sv_logbans 1
>> sv_logecho 0
>> sv_logfile 0
>> sv_logflush 0
>> sv_logsdir "logs"
>> sv_maxcmdrate 100
>> sv_unlag 1
>> sv_maxunlag .5
>> setmaster add 68.142.72.250:27011
>> setmaster add 72.165.61.189:27011
>> sv_steamgroup <snip>
>> sv_steamgroup_exclusive 1
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Chris
>>
>> Jason Ruymen wrote:
>>
>>> As you've already seen, the dedicated server files for the Left 4 Dead 2
>>> Demo are now available.  The game name is left4dead2_demo.  We're still
>>> doing some final checks for the client, but that should be going live soon.
>>>
>>> Jason

Dave Parker
Utica College
Integrated Information Technology Services
(315) 792-3229
Registered Linux User #408177