David,

I'm using the stock Lenny kernel:
Linux yuna 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Aug 19 22:33:18 UTC 2009 x86_64
GNU/Linux

My system is completely up-to-date. Besides, surely kernel features
should never cause a crash in userland unless userland is doing
something very wrong...

What I see is like this:

bo...@yuna l4d2 $ ./demo_dir1_run.sh
Auto detecting CPU
Using SSE2 Optimised binary.
Server will auto-restart if there is a crash.
#
#Console initialized.
***VPK: FastFindFile Attempting to use full path with VPK file!
        File:
/srv/steam/l4d2/demo_dir1/left4dead2_demo/left4dead2/addonlist.txt
#***VPK: FastFindFile Attempting to use full path with VPK file!
        File:
/srv/steam/l4d2/demo_dir1/left4dead2_demo/left4dead2/addonlist.txt
#Game.dll loaded for "Left 4 Dead 2 Demo"
Server is hibernating
ConVarRef test_progression_loop doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Game supporting (2) split screen players
maxplayers set to 18
#01:Unknown command "mat_bloom_scalefactor_scalar"
#02:Unknown command "mat_bloom_scalefactor_scalar"
#03:Unknown command "mat_bloom_scalefactor_scalar"
#01:---- Host_NewGame ----
#04:Unknown command "mat_bloom_scalefactor_scalar"
#02:---- Host_NewGame ----
#03:---- Host_NewGame ----
#04:---- Host_NewGame ----
Child 0 aborted with signal 11
#01:Unknown command "mat_bloom_scalefactor_scalar"
#01:KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer:  got NULL key in file
scripts/population.txt
Child 1 aborted with signal 11
#02:Unknown command "mat_bloom_scalefactor_scalar"
#02:---- Host_NewGame ----
#04:Host_NewGame on map c5m1_waterfront
#03:Host_NewGame on map c5m1_waterfront
Child 0 aborted with signal 11
#01:Unknown command "mat_bloom_scalefactor_scalar"
#01:Network: IP 87.117.228.64, mode MP, dedicated Yes, ports 27015 SV / 0 CL
#01:Network console: IP 87.117.228.64 port 9001
#01:---- Host_NewGame ----

Notice all the "Child N aborted with signal 11" messages?

Thanks,
Chris