I have had this issue twice up till now, and it's rather disturbing.

What happened is that a L4D2 fork gets in a crashing mode of some kind where it
continuously puts 100% CPU load on a single core. I've seen these sort of
crashes perhaps around 10 times so far. 8 times I've spotted it soon enough to
kill -9 <pid> the process, and 2 times I've been too late and it been in such a
state for several hours before it will entirely kill off the machine. The
machine will only reply to icmp and nothing else (ssh, http, ftp, gameservers
etc).

This worries me a bit, because I do not have any reason to assume something is
broken on OS or hardware level.

Regards,

Saint K.