Its always a balance between getting fixes out asap and artificially
delaying them to be more "convenient" for a particular segment.  Some of
the updates do fix things that would allow some users to play the game
properly (e.g. crash bugs) and those things obviously should take a
higher priority to just get out there.

I'd rather that Valve issue updates that might be released at some
slightly inconvenient times for some people than not artificially delay
an update that fixes a problem for either players or people running servers.

Fixing auto-update would solve most of these problems though. :)