Steven,

By username I mean a linux username for a linux user.

If I try to run the server as a user with the first letter of the
username capitalized the server crashes. However if I then change that
user's username and switch to that user and attempt to launch the server
again it works fine. For example, if I have a user "Robin" whose l4d2 server
is crashing, and I change his username to "robin" and switch ownership of
all of "Robin" files to "robin" (so we are dealing with exactly the same
files and directory structure in both cases) then "robin" is able to start a
l4d2 server just fine. This is regardless of if the server is vanilla (fresh
download from steam even), or has mods. I have done this serveral times on
different machines to the same effect.