From: Mark Gilbert <markgilb...@gmail.com>
Sender: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 23:49:55
To: <hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>
Subject: [hlds_linux] DOD:S Server Problems

Hi,

Any help anyone can provide on this would be much appreciated as it's
driving me mad.

I had a working DOD:S server a few months ago, but for one reason or another
it was taken offline.  Now I've come to start it up again and after the
server comes up and has done it's autoupdate bit clients are unable to
connect to it.  All clients report that it's running an older version of the
game.  However it has autoupdated as I have this as a command line option
when the game is launched and I've also tried updating manually with the
hldsupdatetool.bin options.  Both of these update processes seem to say the
server is up to date.  However the console output indicates that it is
running version 70 of the game, which I believe is not the latest version.

To rule out a config or permissions issue I created an entirely new instance
of the server.  Completely clean install and re-downloaded all the server
again using hldsupdatetool.bin etc.  This will run and simply crashes giving
a rather cryptic error as seen below along with the rest of the console
output;

Auto detecting CPU
Using SSE2 Optimised binary.
Server will auto-restart if there is a crash.
Updating server using Steam.
Checking bootstrapper version ...
Updating Installation
Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Materials' version 8

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Models' version 4

Checking/Installing 'Base Source Shared Sounds' version 4

Checking/Installing 'Day of Defeat Source Base Content' version 55

Checking/Installing 'Linux Source HLDS' version 98

HLDS installation up to date

Console initialized.
./srcds_run: line 344: 19194 Segmentation fault      $HL_CMD
Add "-debug" to the ./srcds_run command line to generate a debug.log to help
with solving this problem
Fri Oct 22 17:39:49 BST 2010: Server restart in 10 seconds

I notice from the above that it hasn't downloaded the Orangebox version of
the game, but the original HLDS server version.  The command I ran to
download the server was ./steam -command update -game dods -dir .

My startup script for both servers is shown below, obviously the path
changes slightly to reflect different folders;

#!/bin/sh
echo "Starting DOD:S Public Server"
sleep 1
cd /home/user/dodsNEW/srcds_l
sleep 1
screen -A -m -d -S dod ./srcds_run -game dod +map dod_jagd +maxplayers 24
+fps_max 0 +ip 188.94.73.74 -port 28035 -autoupdate -pidfile
'/home/user/dodsNEW/dods.pid'

One server, clients report it is out of date, even though when I try to
update it hldsupdatetool reports that this is not the case, the other fresh
install just crashes when run and seems to be the non-Orangebox version of
the game.

I really am at a loss to explain this, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks