From: frostschutz <frostsch...@metamorpher.de>
Sender: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:19:25
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing
list<hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com>
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] IPv6

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 07:58:30PM -0500, Brian Rak wrote:
> Is there any sort of timeline for getting IPv6 support in srcds?
> IPv6 support is becoming more necessary with every passing day.

It will take years to move from IPv4 to IPv6.

I wish it were different too, but that's how it is, if it's not
pressing it's simply not done.

IPv6 support for games would be nice, just don't expect players
to join yet ;)

The majority of players is stuck with IPv4. Even large ISPs still
do not offer IPv6 to the end user (the largest ISP in Germany
doesn't, only "has plans" to introduce it this year). And even if
they did, many are still using hardware that is not IPv6 capable.

IPv4 won't vanish either. If there aren't any new IPs to be had,
server hosters will find new ways to offer IPv4 anyway. For example
by having several servers share a single IP, giving each server
only a specific port range they can use freely, and using VHosts
etc. for WWW. But even that is still some time away, as hosters
will probably move from multiple IP per server to single IP per
server setups first...

Either way, as long as Srcds is flexible in regard to port numbers,
there won't be any immediate problems with IPv4... maybe the story
will be different in 5-10 years.

Regards
frostschutz