I confirm this.

I am using local server replays on Linux on a dedicated 7200 RPM hard
drive with nothing else running and getting massive lag spikes. TF2
refuses to use /dev/shm or a tmpfs folder with 777 permissions. It
prints lines like this:

Unable to rename
/home/bottiger/steam/server1/orangebox/tf/replay/server/tmp/20110508-030722-ctf_2fort_part_0.block
to /var/www
/nginx-default/replays/20110508-030722-ctf_2fort_part_0.block!

I verified the folder was usable by copying files into it manually.