At 01:32 AM 5/25/2011, Kyle Sanderson wrote:
While this has been discussed a number of times (atrocious over usage
of gettimeofday has been worked around). Can there be something done
regarding the abuse of syscalls? I mean, something like this
http://i.imgur.com/PdWTB.png isn't really that great. For instance,
every 1 out of 4 futex syscalls fail due to timing out (shown in that
picture). This is just expensive and downright silly. Not much can be
done on our end without the source to SRCDS, which no doubt will not
be released. The CPU usage that SRCDS manages to chug is borderline
suicidal for the end result, not to mention the countless places in
the engine where memory continues to leak like a sieve. This effects
and hurts everyone. The 'serious' people who host servers cannot use
Windows due to the lack of Symbols.

Abuse of syscalls? No offense, but strace/ktrace/truss et al only show syscalls, not flow of code! It measures the amount of syscalls and usage of them in CPU time. I could write a program to loop main() and chew up 99% CPU and no syscalls will be generated.

Maybe you could post what is timing out? It's probably doing EAGAIN over and over..

strace -Ff -s 99999 -p whatever