On 06/23/2011 23:25, Netshroud wrote:
Or just kick or ban those with a backpack capacity of 50. Premium users get
300-1000 depending on how many Backpack Expanders they use.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Amer<stalker...@gmail.com>  wrote:

I highly doubt valve is going to add this cvar since it defeats the purpose
of making tf2 free to play in the first place

If you insist on disallowing f2p anyway then I figure you could run a
script or something that will query for players backpack on joining and ban
or kick those without Proof of Purchase hat in their backpack. But this will
only allow old players that paid for their copy of tf2 to join your server.

Amer

You run into a problem if you base your kick and/or ban entirely on the contents or even the number of slots of someone's backpack. You cannot do it to me for example. My profile is private. Sites like tf2items.com cannot see my backpack, which was a side effect of making my profile private. As such, nobody can see what is in my backpack.

Slight digression, long after I had set my backpack private, I had some random schmuck ask for one of my items; I realized he might have been going by what tf2items.com had for me. It said that the last time it had accurate data was in November of 2009. At that point, I asked drunken_f00l to clear the data he had on the site. I do not like being approached by random people asking about items in my backpack.

However, back to the topic at hand, the point of that is that, yes, it may be handy to base a kick and/or ban on the state of a player's backpack. What if you cannot even GET TO it? There needs to be some other way. Letting any server administrator into a player's backpack is not the answer. Neither is requiring players wear their Proof of Purchase.

--IJ.

--
Ian R. Justman
UNIX hacker.  Anime fan.  Any questions?