http://www.teamfortress.com/freetoplay/faq.php

"Q. Won’t going Free to Play mean more griefers and cheaters?
We’re increasing our focus on making sure that hostile players can’t
ruin your fun. Specifically, we’ll be keeping a close eye on players
exploiting the ability to make infinite free accounts to bypass bans.
We’ve built systems that’ll allow us to measure and track what these
players are doing, and respond quickly."

I can only assume Valve is talking about VAC bans which simply aren’t
good enough. It's one of many tools worthwhile to keep around, but you
can't rely on it for anything.
Unless they're going to let us stream server bans into whatever system
they got there will effectively be no difference between a simple kick
and a permanent ban anymore.

We've had to deal with cheaters using multiple accounts before,
getting rid of them is more work, but doable. In the end we'll win,
the cheater will run out of accounts and go somewhere else. But now,
unless at least one server admin is present at all times to quickly
respond and kick players we will be defenseless against a player
deciding to mess with a specific server.

I see no alternative other than locking down servers.