I've tried this, but it has no effect on the servers' CPU usage while idle.

I also have much increased CPU usage shown; however, the load average does
not appear to have changed.  Since in my experience servers on a box used to
degrade in performance well before CPU graphs would indicate an issue, it's
_possible_ that this change won't materially affect the capacity of a box,
but that's just speculation.