"The !report function is not stellar, but it works, and if you use an IRC
client with some scripting functionality (like mIRC), or maybe a bouncer
(like ZNC), then you have yourself a pretty good warning setup."

This is *exactly* what our community does. Using logaddress we stream the
server logs to a mIRC client, where virtually anything can be done with it.
Currently it will bug people in IRC, and I'm currently exploring the option
of throwing in SMS to admin's ability as well, although I never even
considered using email as the gateway there, should have though.

To head off the naysayers: No kidding using mIRC on a dedicated server isn't
the most optimal setup ever, but it works marvelously and it's been in use
for years, never a problem.