What they are saying, is that your "latency" might be high because of the
choke you are recieving due to incorrect rate settings. net_graph 4 tells
"real" ping, one hopes.

Why rate is still default 10k is beyond me, when TF2 is pretty much
unplayable below 45k on small servers and 60-100k on 24-32 player servers.
This also eats insane amounts of bandwidth, something that needs to be taken
into account.

sv_minrate 40000 should be default in the tf2 server config, really, to give
people a sane default. Perhaps a comment that it is sufficent for UP TO 20
players, but should be increased beyond.

-TheG