I think the trouble is that as soon as the dedicated servers are released,
no-steam groups will go out of their way to crack them.
However I really think that released dedicated servers would be really good
for the community, especially for regions where Valve isn't prepared to
host their own servers.
IMO Most of the no-steam stuff will be mitigated by not making the binaries
available until the games release, fanatics will jump at no-steam if
there's no legitimate alternative. Piracy is a service issue etc.