> I've love to know what you're doing wrong then, because everything's fine
> here.
>
> Unless there's some really weird issue with certain update servers and it
> just so happens all the ones at my side of the world are fine...

It's not what *I'm* doing wrong.  The script (nemrun) I run responds only
to what it is TOLD.  By STEAM.

Nemrun checks steam API periodically to see if it tells us we are out of
date.

If steam tells us we are out of date, nemrun initiates an update.

note that "nemrun initiates an update" means, "./steam -command update
-game tf -dir /home/tf2/tf2 -retry".

I happened to be near keyboard/console for this update so I watched it.

In a nutshell, it "updated" the server directory tree without actually
updating much of anything.  The first time around.  It didn't update
steam.inf.  But we got an HLDS Installation is Up to Date, and the steam
binary exited with a 0 return code.

THE STEAM BINARY THAT ACTUALLY DOES THE UPDATING EXITED WITH A 0 RETURN CODE.

After that, nemrun basically got stuck in a verify/re-update loop of
"update completed but the steam master tells us we are still out of date".
 Until I killed all the servers and the updater daemon and fired up the
-verify_all version of the updater daemon script I have to use when stuff
like this happens.

Approximately 45 minutes later, it finally finished.

Interestingly enough, only then did I get the majority of the files
actually *IN* the update.  (so, why the heck did I get a 'successful
update' from whichever master/disaster/depot server I was "updating" from,
then?)

Oh and wait, there's more.  The post I made the other day, talking about
getting a 104 Connection Reset by Peer after you are 100% updated?  It
happened with this first -verify_all pass.  So even though I now had 100%
of the files, guess what... had to go through -verify_all again.

It's not what I'm doing wrong.  If you can't trust what the steam binary
tells you and return codes....