>> Unless there's some really weird issue with certain update servers

this ^^^ is a pretty good candidate if you ask me

Anyway, there are people who "have never had a problem".  At least one of
them who uses nemrun, but only as a way to tell the many, many actual
servers they run to initiate their own updates.  I don't know how it makes
a difference, but apparently somehow it does.  I've thought this through
and made a few changes to the nemrun 1.8.5 scripts to add some time delay
knobs etc. (as posted here a while back).  Obviously waiting a few seconds
to give the master/depot/content/shmontent servers time to replicate the
updates isn't the problem.

I don't have any control over the return codes the steam binary exits with
and I sure don't have any control over what steam's masters and
distribution servers have on them, what they feed me when there is an
update available, whether they rudely "hang up" with a connection reset or
lie to me when they say I am now up to date, etc.

Looks like about all I can really do if I want a true "fuhgeddaboudit"
auto-updating solution that only has to update ONE HLDS (TF2) directory
tree to update all the servers, and that I don't have to fawn over or
manually intervene in the majority of the times an update comes out is to
use -verify_all all the time.

And "fuhgeddaboudit" also with regard to how long it takes for the update
to finish and get the servers back online.

...because it is not possible to have a content server reliably feed you
JUST THE FILES THAT CHANGED BETWEEN THE VERSION YOU REPORTED IN WITH AND
THE VERSION THE MASTER IS AT NOW.

What really wizzes me off though is how often the problem is assumed to be
on MY end just because I am having problems.