This is why I think it to should be an OPTIONAL service... Just like how
you can let universities borrow your CPU power while you are afk... I mean
heck, it's not being used when you aren't around unless of course you're
running servers or services that take up CPU power. Why not do the same for
bandwidth? It could be disabled by default and a steam update news can tell
you how to turn it on for steam rep. I think steam reputation would be
cool... It not only would allow you to find more trusted players by there
reputation score but it would allow people to up and down rep you based on
what kind of person you are in games. You providing seed power would only
be a minor plus to your reputation but would be enough to have some people
seeding all the time for hopes of a higher rep. Reputation could be used to
see if a player is a trustworthy trader as well. If a player has a lot of
negative reputation for trading then people will be more careful and be
more worried about getting their items scammed. It would also allow for
valve to monitor users better and have a better system for finding scammers
or hackers faster then ever.

Just throwing out some ideas...