The server browser etc does report the maxplayers being 32 if you set
it up right, it also will show all the bots in the active game. It
does seem like players can still directly connect and spectate though,
we had a full team of 6 with 1 or 2 human spectators. I'm suspecting
this might be interfering with some of the bot spawning (as someone
was reporting some bot spawn fail messages when the maxplayers wasn't
32).

Funnily enough, you can also call votekicks on the attacking bots,
showing the bot name (Scout, etc) and it then kicks a seemingly random
player, not the bot when the vote passes. Might want to disable the
ability to call votes on the MvM bots.