Definitions first:
  - matching mission: map name = popfile name
    e.g. mvm_hangtown_v1_3.bsp
         mvm_hangtown_v1_3.pop

  - non-matching mission: map name != popfile name
    e.g. mvm_coaltown.bsp
         mvm_coaltown_sleepy.pop

When transitioning to any *non-matching mission* the popfile is set according to tf_mvm_missioncyclefile - correct behaviour.

Once the tf_mvm_popfile has been set by the above when we transition to a *matching mission* the tf_mvm_popfile is stuck to the value from the previous *non-matching mission*.

Conrete example, given tf_mvm_missioncyclefile:

"tf_mvm_missioncycle.res"
{
        "categories" "1"
        "1"
        {
                "count" "2"

                "1"
                {
                        "map" "mvm_hangtown_v1_3"
                        "popfile" "mvm_hangtown_v1_3"
                }
                "2"
                {
                        "map" "mvm_coaltown"
                        "popfile" "mvm_coaltown_sleepy"
                }
        }
}

Going from 1->2 is fine.
Going from 2->1 results in map=mvm_hangtown_v1_3 but tf_mvm_popfile=mvm_coaltown_sleepy.

In case it matters, I am testing this using 'changelevel', not transitioning via finishing a mission, though I'm fairly sure the latter results in the same symptoms as my servers are constantly getting stuck in the same state (which is why I looked into the issue in the first place).

cheers,
Yun