Steamcmd does support autoupdate but as the error states when using
-autoupdate ("ERROR: -autoupdate requires -steam_dir and
-steamcmd_script.") you need to also specify -steam_dir and
-steamcmd_script on the command line.

E.g.: srcds_run -console -game tf -autoupdate -steam_dir
/home/example/steamcmddir -steamcmd_script
/home/example/steamcmddir/our_tf2_update_script +map cp_dustbowl
+maxplayers 32