This happens to all of the SteamCMD-installed srcds servers I help manage every time. The first try, steamcmd.sh exits 8, then succeeds.

This is a known issue that affects everyone, as far as I know.

Peter Reinhold wrote:
The 6.3 one always fails logging in anonymously, every time, and if I
repeat the login, it succeeds, the other one works as you would expect.

-- SNIP --
Redirecting stderr to '/home/srcds/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[  0%] Download complete.
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --

Steam>login anonymous

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Login Failure: No Connection
Failed.

Steam>login anonymous

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Success.

Steam>
-- SNIP END --

It makes no sense to me that the second login works every time, have
anyone else seen this behaviour, and maybe found a fix? (Other than
scripting a double login, and not using @ShutdownOnFailedCommand 1)

--
# Jesse Molina
# Mail = je...@opendreams.net