Unchecking the box by default is the only option aside from remove this
added feature.
Type up a bunch of a response all you want but my first reply to this is
just that - it needs to go.

Ohh chocolate cake tastes good and I just made one while running my servers
:)

_
I just joined a valve server with quickplay and 'official servers'
checked to play 2fort.

The experience of joining is pretty good. Fast and I got a server with a low
ping that played well.

All I can say to the folks here is though, if you can't compete with a Valve
server, switch off your servers and bake cakes to sell because you're in the
wrong game.

It was a complete farce. Barely anyone knew how to cap, where to cap, or
what the objectives were. Neither team had any defence, certainly no
engineers.

I was told what I was doing was "impossible" (i.e shooting nades at people
and hitting them)

So, relax. No one who sits facing the shiny side of their monitor will  be
playing on Valve servers via quickplay for any length of time because the
servers are swamped with the confused and bewildered.

You can (as I have in the past) jump from valve server to valve server and
find a decent round, but you'd spend all day doing that with the quickplay
button joining random servers.

Who knows, perhaps the official checkbox will mix up the player base and
change that, but right now that doesn't appear to be the case.
--
Dan