Thanks.  I had Googled the issue but had not found that particular Steam
Community discussion about it.  I am hesitant to upgrade libc because
everything else on the box is running fine, so I guess I'll just wait until
there is either a patched library which can be installed locally for FoF
(like the libm.so.6 solution before), or I have time to do a full OS
upgrade on the box.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Nicholas Hastings <psycho...@alliedmods.net
> wrote:
>
> I recommend realizing that it's a mod, being a slave to the 2013 SDK
> Base engine binaries.  These have the _srv versions as just a copy of
> the non-srv versions, per the same base makefile that is shipped with
> the 2013 SDK.
>
> --
> Nicholas Hastings
> AlliedMods.net <http://www.alliedmods.net>
>

> > Ross Bemrose <mailto:rbemr...@gmail.com>
> > Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:09 PM
> > I recommend glaring at the FOF developers until they realize that the
> > entire point of having server_srv.so is so that servers can run older
> > GLIBC
> > versions.
> >
> > In Valve's own games, server.so is built against GLIBC 2.17, while the
> > basically identical server_srv.so built against GLIBC 2.12 I think. Same
> > with libvstdlib.so and libvstdlib_srv.so.
> >

> > epi <mailto:ow...@tf.heybey.org>
> > Thursday, December 18, 2014 4:03 PM
> > While it is possible to upgrade libc in place, there is a very real
> > chance that you will break some older software that you are using. If
> > you are using Debian oldstable or similarly old versions of other
> > distros, there is a chance you will trash your entire system. I wouldn't
> > recommend doing it unless FoF is the only thing you are using that
> > server for.
> >
> > This is part of the reason that upgrading to testing from stable tends
> > to be such a PITA.

> > Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:28 PM
> > On 12/18/2014 02:03 PM, David Parker wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>

> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  An upgrade to Debian 8
> >> ("Jessie")
> >> is planned for some point in the future, but would be a real pain to do
> >> right now.
> >>

> > http://steamcommunity.com/app/265630/discussions/6/619574421276599382/
> >
> > -cedarlug

> > Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:03 PM
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a 64-bit Debian 7 ("wheezy") server which was running a FoF
> > dedicated server just until one of the two recent updates broke it. FoF
> > used to require glibc 2.15, which is not included in Debian 7 but I
> solved
> > that problem using the workaround posted here:
> >

> http://wiki.nomoreroominhell.com/wiki/Dedicated_Server_Setup#GLIBC_2.15_error
> >
> > I put that libm.so.6 file into the bin directory for FoF and then it
> > worked. However, following one of the updates in the last few days, the
> > FoF dedicated server now fails to start and crashes with this error:
> >
> > failed to dlopen /usr/local/srcds_6/fof/fof/bin/server_srv.so
> > error=/lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by
> > /usr/local/srcds_6/fof/fof/bin/server_srv.so)
> >
> > Was the newest version compiled against a new SDK or something? Does
> > anyone happen to know if there is a similar workaround for glibc 2.17
> > (i.e., another "libm.so.6" file)?

> [...]

Dave Parker
Systems Administrator
Utica College
Integrated Information Technology Services
(315) 792-3229
Registered Linux User #408177