Ok, this is weird. When I run the app_update 90 validate the valve/gfx.wad
file (along with tons of other files) is being deleted!

I confirmed this by doing an installation, verifying that the file is
there. I zip-up the entire installation folder for later reference (so I
know that I am not going crazy). Then I run the app_update 90 validate,
giving the message noted above (Success! App '90' fully installed), then I
check the folders again, and valve/gfx.wad is gone!

Which, explains why when I try to actually run the game it complains about
valve/gfx.wad being missing.

Needless to say, removing the "validate" option from my procedures for
now.  I guess "validate" means "invalidate" for now.