I agree with you, Darren.

There are sites out there that seem to be the go-to places for TF2 item
trading and news and so on. I'm sure it'd be possible for some talented
folks to virtually take over the whole community server thing from Valve
and make a service that feels like an essential tool for any enthusiastic
TF2 player.

TF2 is a great way for people to get into level design but I am concerned
that budding mappers will find it very difficult to get their maps tested
and played should community servers dwindle to insignificance or become
very hard to discover.

Matt (worMatty)