Hey Ben,

Here's what VDC has (seein' as how you can't access it).

  func_lod

       From Valve Developer Community

Jump to: navigation
<http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_lod#column-one>, search
<http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_lod#searchInput>

This is a brush entity
<http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Brush_entity> available in all
Source games.

    Entity Description

Brush-built
<http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Entity#Brush_entities> model
that fades out over a specified distance. Useful for creating world
detail that doesn't need to be drawn far away, for performance reasons.

* Note:*The fading is not always consistent; brushes may suddenly "pop"
into view depending on where the player is looking. This happens because
of a hardware issues with rendering translucent materials. Low-end cards
will fade nearer than the distance specified, and smaller objects fade
nearer than a larger object with the same fade distance.
* Note:*The overhead required by this entity is substantial. Use it only
for special effects or when fading very dense geometry, and one could
then argue, shouldn't that better be a model
<http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Model>?

As for waterindices, here's as much as I could gather:
"t-junctions are edges with more than two collinear verts. This happens
when dissimilar geometry meets sharing an edge, vbsp automatically adds
all verts along the edge to each polygon sharing the edge to avoid
cracks. vbsp has a -notjunc option that will skip this process, but that
will leave you with cracks in your level. You probably want the
t-junctions fixed. Cracks usually look like sparkling edges (bright
pixels in the skybox showing through).

There are several references on t-junctions online as it's a general
problem when processing geometry for any rendering engine. It's not
unique to anything specifically in Source."

Basically, it looks like it has to do with when you have two brush edges
with vertices along them that don't line up, so vbsp does some work to
prevent unsightly cracks from showing along the edges.  I'unno, that's
my best guess.

And, thanks for your service (Army).