> Osmosis. The original HOL documentation/code included schematic
derivations of the derived rules of inference (didn't that
> make it into Gordon and Melham?). However, the starting point for that is
the rather ad hoc collection of primitive rules and
> axioms that evolved into the ones currently used in HOL4 and ProofPower.
Andrews' book shows how to do it with an even
> leaner set of rules and axioms than HOL Light and his article that you
have been reading points back to Tarski, Quine and
> Henkin as the original sources. It also follows from abstract nonsense
about the internal logic of a topos that you can derive
> the properties of the logical connectives and the quantifiers given a
model of the typed lambda-calculus (like the one
> described in the HOL4 Logic manual).

Yes to all this. The HOL4 Description does spell out how to derive the
standard logical inference rules from the
HOL4 primitive inference rules. See Chapter 2 of

  kananaskis-9-description.pdf

available from the SourceForge site. Derivations start on page 45.
Although this
portion of the Description is out of
date, and doesn't start from the same basis as HOL Light, it should still
be able to help you on your quest.

Konrad.