Hi,

Suppose I have a list (or recursive structure defined by Datatype) in which
there’re some special elements marked as “variables”, e.g. ``var X``, ``var
Y``, …  and I have a substitution function which correctly replaces a variable
into another closed term (i.e. term without variables), and an extended version
of this function can do repeated variable substitutions on a list of variables
and their corresponding substitutions.  E.g. ``SUBST E Ps Xs`` will do
substitutions in list of strings E, finding each appearance of variable in Xs
and replace with the corresponding one in Ps. The type of SUBST should be
something like ``:string list -> string list -> string list -> string list``.

I can imagine that, for whatever permutations of Xs (or the order of
variables), with Ps also changed in the same order,  the resulting term ``SUBST
Es Ps Xs`` must be unique. (if Ps also contains variables, the resulting term
may not be unique any more.)

How can expression this property (e.g. in listTheory)? What’s the name of this
phenomena? and what’s the idea in its proof?

Regards,

Chun Tian