Hi Chun Tian,

  There are all kinds of issues with substitutions and applying them to
term-like
structures. I would probably start by choosing finite maps
(finite_mapTheory) as
the representation for variable substitutions since they get rid of most if
not all
the issues with ordering of replacements. The alistTheory provides a more
computationally friendly version, and provides a formal connection back to
fmaps.

 Also see

    <holdir>/examples/unification/triangular/first-order

for a unification case study.

Konrad.