Is there any documentation on how abstract algebra is implemented in HOL4?
Usually the HOL type system is considered too weak.

Freek Wiedijk: “The HOL type system is too poor. As we already argued in the
previous section, it is too weak to properly do abstract algebra.”
John Harrison, Josef Urban, and Freek Wiedijk: “Another limitation of the
simple HOL type system is that there is no explicit quantifier over polymorphic
type variables, which can make many standard results [...] awkward to express
[...]. [...] For example, in one of the most impressive formalization efforts
to date [Gonthier et al., 2013] the entire group theory framework is developed
in terms of subsets of a single universe group, apparently to avoid the
complications from groups with general and possibly heterogeneous types.”

https://lists.cam.ac.uk/pipermail/cl-isabelle-users/2020-July/msg00074.html
<https://lists.cam.ac.uk/pipermail/cl-isabelle-users/2020-July/msg00074.html>

Kind regards,

Ken Kubota