On 9/21/11 5:27 AM, Tim Chown wrote:
Hi,

I have been working with Jari, Jason and Ole to produce a new version
of the homenet architecture draft. Mark, who produced the first
version with Jari, is now of course WG chair and has stepped down as
editor of the text.

One thing I've been looking for is a way to avoid boiling the ocean; I think being able to assign stable IP address prefixes in an arbitrary topology is a hard problem, yet I think there simple home topologies that show up today with IPv4 NATs that we should be able to handle with relative ease.

Today's IPv4 consumer home routers have a designated uplink port (labeled "Internet", "WAN", or something similar) and the behavior is different on that port (where it runs a DHCPv4 client) and the other ports (where it runs a DHCPv4 server). If we start with a simple solution to target such devices for IPv6 home networks (without IPv6 NATs), then we can come up with hierarchical prefix delegation and default routes towards the delegating routers; no need to ensure that a single stable prefix is assigned to each link in an arbitrary topology of routers.

Then we can work on that harder problem as an extension of the simple approach for the simple topologies.

   Erik