Erik,

>> to expand on the ideas I presented on MLSR (or rather MLSRv2 as it hasn't
>> really been described anywhere) as a method for numbering a routed home.
>> please let me be clear that I'm not convinced this is a good idea. i.e. why
>> not just get<  /64?
>> I do think we could get something working though.
>>
>> routers can be in an arbitrary topology. all routers running a routing
>> protocol.
>> the site prefix (/64) is either advertised in the IGP with a new LSA or
>> proxying of RA messages is done (split horizon).
>> a router advertises the same /64 prefix (in a PIO) on all of its interfaces.
>> L bit is 0.
>>
>> the link model here is that all hosts are off link from each other.
>> link-local scope is restricted to only the physical link. multicast
>> link-local scope as well.
>
> And I assume the routers would pass around /128 routes for the hosts in the
> home, and would automatically inject such a route when the SAVI-style table
> learns about a new address.
> Are those assumptions correct?

yes.

>> a host uses SLAAC (or DHCP) to create an address, then does DAD as normal.
>> the first hop router uses it's routing topology database
>> to check for conflicts. similar mechanisms described in SAVI are used to
>> glean address information from the host. the SAVI binding
>> database is then used to inject host routes into the IGP.
>
> What happens when the router crashes - does it loose its SAVI-style table?
> Does it keep it in stable storage?

it could.

> If it looses it, then nobody would know on what link the hosts are, since the
> hosts aren't required to periodically send any announcement to the routers.

indeed. directly connected hosts would get a L2 event.
in the more creative department you could run with low timers, and you could
enforce a direct mapping between MAC address, link-local address and global
address.
thereby being able to recreate global address binding state just from a
link-local addresses.

> What happens when a packet arrives for an IP address that is in the /64
> prefix for the home, but there is no /128 route for it? Flood everywhere?
> Drop?

drop I'd imagine.

> We looked that this when we worked on 6lowpan-nd, and concluded that by doing
> explicit registrations from hosts to routers (the Address Registration
> Option) with a lifetime we can make such networks work well without requiring
> stable storage.
>
> But that implies a host change.

yes, registration makes this safer.

I just intended to point out that this could be one tool in the toolbox. not
that we should necessarily build homenets this way.

cheers,
Ole