    >>> A router should not start handing out PD or even IPv4 NAT space until
    >>> it gets and address from elsewhere.

    Russ> In other words, your home network should be unusable unless at
    Russ> least one
    Russ> edge device is connected to the "real world." I can just imagine the
    Russ> support calls the local provider will get when they have a
    Russ> local outage.

    Russ> "I'm sorry, sir, but that's the way it works --you can't print
    Russ> or stream
    Russ> movies from your console unless your internet connection is up."

    Russ> Yeah, that's going to fly.

Please don't mistake idle comments about the history of some devices on
the mailing list for requirements!

I think that we are pretty much in agreement that the home network has
to operate independently of the ISP(s), which is one of the reasons for
ULA, and RFC6204 (Basic Requirements for IPv6 Customer Edge Routers)
already provides for this.  At the 10,000ft level, homenet is "Advanced
Requirements for ..."

] m...@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.