On Oct 12, 2011, at 1:52 PM, Curtis Villamizar wrote:

> A router should not start handing out PD or even IPv4 NAT space until it gets
> and address from elsewhere.

Some routers need to do this, i.e. home routers where service providers charge
prohibitive rates for always-on Internet dial-tone and expect subscribers to
connect on demand and disconnect after an appropriate idle time.

For IPv4 today, these routers typically use PPPoE on the WAN and they often
handle this by assigning RFC 1918 address to the LAN hosts and using DNS
queries to signal PPPoE to establish the WAN link.

For IPv6, I'm not sure what they should do, but I have some ideas.  Basically,
the router should advertise as a default router with a single ULA prefix and a
DNS server at the router's ULA interface address with RFC 6106 and optionally
RFC 3736.  When the DNS query signals PPPoE to establish the WAN link, the
DHCPv6 client will ask for a IA_PD and update the prefix advertised on the LAN
accordingly.

I'm not sure this model can be made to work with IPv6, but I wouldn't put it
past the telcos to try.

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
member of technical staff, core os networking