    Dave> The biggest problem I ran into was that nearly every useful
    Dave> service had an acl that required enabling before it could be
    Dave> used inside the network in the first place. In a dynamically
    Dave> (PD assigned) world, this would mean that trigger scripts
    Dave> would have to be fired off to alter these on every change, and
    Dave> daemons restarted, and there are related problems....

(thus in the windows world, where you have to reboot all the time)

What I think is happening in the Linux-kernel-based desktop world
(i.e. GNOME/KDE, which includes man *BSD systems too, of course), is
that dbus is being used to announce new addresses.    It's less obvious
that this should be used for routers/servers, but I think it will become
the thing.

So, what we actually need from your list of things to be tweaked is a
list of what inputs they need for the tweaking.  The mechanism for the
tweaking could evolve, so long as we can keep the naming of each
parameter consistent.

    Dave> In addition to the above cases, the concept of having a
    Dave> 'guest' network in the home complicates matters even further,
    Dave> as by what scheme can you dynamically assign addresses, and
    Dave> retain security.  Certain devices (printers for example)
    Dave> should be available inside in all cases, your accounting
    Dave> server or home security webcam system, not so much....

So, this is where the naming and categorization of services is
important.

The first slide here:
    http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/81/slides/homenet-5.pdf

was bemoaning the lack of anything between local link, and world.
And I think the take-home from your list is that there is nor only the
"Home", but also the "Trusted home" and "Guest home"

] m...@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.