Let  me try and up-level a bit architecturally, because this is more than just
about whether we turn on or off a firewall on a particular border.

Consider two routers fully within a homenet Now, list all the types of traffic
and information that might be exchanged between those routers, e.g.,

- Datalink establishment
- IP addressing for the link
- IP Prefixes reachable by the router (what a "routing protocol" would do)
- Services present on the router itself
- Services on connected links propagated via the router
- User traffic
- etc...

Our job is to determine what kind of link exists between two routers and start
crossing out items, in whole or in part, based on how promiscuous we wish the
routers to be on that link. In effect, we are deciding where to break the
network and where not to, but it is by doing this that we carve out the
separate "home", "guest" and "Internet" realms that we are targeting to create.
I think that what is most important at this moment is to nail down what knobs
we want to try and have available, what their "out of the box" defaults are for
the above 3 combinations of border types, and allow for super-users,
ISP-managed devices, etc. monkey around with them as they wish according to
what vendors and providers can dream up. If we can agree on these, and still
remain blocked on what kind of firewall to recommend to be enabled by default,
we will still have accomplished quite a bit. So I'd like to encourage us to
step out of the firewall rathole for a moment, and look at this from a w
 ider angle.

Further, if we *really* want to talk about goals for security of our homenet
routers, we should consider mandating the ability to download bug fixes and
security updates. Far and away, this has been what has made hosts more secure
in the past decade, why a home router would be exempt from this baffles me.

- Mark