On 2012-03-14 18:11, Cameron Byrne wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Ashok Narayanan <ash...@cisco.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 13, 2012, at 3/13 9:16 PM, Cameron Byrne wrote:
>>

>>> That's reality, and much as I love the e2e principle I think the ordinary
>>> citizen is better off behind default-deny.
>>>
>> I am not trying to be dense, but why?
>>
>> What is the negative scenario of not having a homenet firewall on? Using
>> real examples from the last 5 years .... I would like to know how a cpe
>> firewall protects against real threats to modern software.
>>
>> It seems hard to predict a priori what a "real threat" is going to be. And
>> it seems unlikely that "modern software" is all that will be found in
>> average homes. For example, will the Android version on the refrigerator
>> display be updated?
>>

> Agreed about a priori.  BUT! what else do we have to go on?  I am
> asking for a baseline to justify why a CPE firewall is required.  In
> fact, i have asked for it multiple times on this thread, and all i get
> back is anecdotal hand waving, not technical reasons.
>
> Putting the E back in IETF, let's see some data about why this
> function  of the system must exist.
>
> My cursory research says you are not going to be able to present a
> convincing amount of data to support the fact that a stateful
> inspection firewall should be applied in a contemporary home
> environment.  I believe the spirit of Homenet is moving the internet
> forward without being beholden to the Morris worm and X.25

Fred and I provided factual but local evidence of background radiation
of unwanted UDP packets. Actually there is a lot more systematic evidence
of this too. For example, this week at the PAM conference in Vienna
there's a paper "One-way traffic monitoring with iatmon" by Nevil Brownlee
that gives a detailed analysis of observed unwanted traffic, both UDP and TCP
SYN.
See http://www.caida.org/publications/papers/2012/one_way_traffic_iatmon/

Can you assert that all low-end homenet devices will be internally
protected against such traffic?

    Bian